Web img 1277

Hugh Myddelton Primary School

The original school and grounds were built in the 1960s, with the nursery, infants and juniors divided into two sites. Livingston Eyre was involved throughout the project, where expansion and refurbishment proposals consolidated all pupils onto the main site, whilst providing a more stimulating environment for outdoor play and reducing unused spaces. 

In the junior zone, a series of walls that made much of the area inaccessible were removed, and a new play area and classroom gardens  installed, featuring seating-walls and planting. A properly-fenced games court, much loved by pupils, allows more flexibility at break times. 

The entrance area was completely reconfigured to provide a clearly legible and fully accessible route to the front door, something previously lacking.  The design also opened up new play spaces, and created educational habitat and growing areas.

> read more

with: Architype Architects for: London Borough of Islington status: completed 2009